Monday, July 26, 2010

A little river riding

I was beginning to feel a little "hiked out" by this weekend, so I was doing all I could to think of other fun things to do outside in this beautiful warm weather.  Kayaking came to mind and Jason jumped on the idea and looked up a good river spot to go on.  After a little researching we decided to take our kayaks about 45 minutes from our house to Sultan and kayak the Skykomish river down to Monroe.  Knowing that this was about a 9 mile stretch, we weren't positive on what the water would be like.  Just hoping it wasn't flat enough to where we would have to walk (which we didn't).

Of course a kayaking trip isn't complete without something being forgotten.  One trip we brought the wrong set of keys with us for the end car and had to hitch a ride to the car at the top.  This time wasn't quite as bad and was totally fixable...we forgot to bring our pump (a little important to have considering that is how we blow our inflatable kayaks up).  Luckily I realized this while only about 25 minutes into the drive, so I turned around and went back home to get them while Jason continued on to the launch spot. 

With only the one "whoopsie" in the beginning, the rest of the trip was great!  We agreed that the first half of the river was perfect because there was enough moving water and mini rapids to keep us moving.  The second half of the river was much more calm and we had to do a lot more paddling to keep moving (just what I was trying to avoid by going on a river).  Our total river time was about 4 hours, which was a little longer than we had planned, but now we know for next time!

And just like our day at the beach the day before, everyone else had the same idea on the river!  We saw many different kinds of floatation devices and lots of "colorful" characters too!  Everyone was just looking for a little fun in the WA sun like we were!

Eating some Subway while the river is still calm

Happy kayakers!

Enjoying some sun on the calm river

No comments:

Post a Comment